Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Disaster Dinner

Well, needless to say, tonight was the disaster dinner.  I decided to make something simple, yes I said simple.  Pancakes, sliced bacon, and homemade syrup (of course without the maple flavoring)...How hard could it be, right!  Made the syrup and it calls for buttermilk, easy enough, just add vinegar to the milk.  Ok, it poured a little faster than expected; but it should be fine.  There's enough sugar in it to cover the vinegar, or so I thought.  New invention... sweet and sour syrup.   OK make the pancake batter.  I got a good recipe from one of the Elders.  My goodness, these look more like thick crepes.   The bacon got a little over done and smoking but we lucked out, it didn't set off the smoke detecter.  So now for the "interesting" pancakes; after some investigation, what I thought was baking powder is actually corn starch.  But bless Alan's heart, he is eating it with a smile on his face.

There are alot of cooking items from America that I miss.  Things we take for granted until we don't have them.  Maple syrup or even the flavoring; Peppermint flavoring; vanilla in a container bigger than a mini bottle; canned soups; chocolate chips; marshmallows, Idaho potatoes, cheese that melts; Caffeine free diet Coke; Milk in containers larger than one quart; celery; unwilted produce; Sugar and Flour in bigger than 3-5 lb. bags; etc, and still counting.  But, there are a few things I do like: great bread, good chocolate; and very good people.

Anyone want to come to dinner tomorrow night? :o}

No comments:

Post a Comment